History & Tradition
Saint Frances School for Colored Girls was opened by Mother Mary Lange and the Oblate Sisters of Providence in 1828. Gradually the name changed to Saint Frances Academy by mid century. The school moved to its present location on East Chase Street in 1871. It became coeducational in the mid 1970s. It is the oldest continuously operating, predominantly African-American Catholic High School in the United States. We've been serving our community for over 185 years!